It’s hard to believe but a week from today we will be enjoying our leftover turkey and stuffing and settling in for a day of football, Black Friday shopping or whatever else it is that you do on the day after Thanksgiving. There was a mother a few years back who made out a list of things she was thankful for. What do you think of her list??
Seven Things to Be Thankful For
- …for automatic dishwashers. They make it possible to get out of the kitchen before the family come in for their after-dinner snacks.
- …for husbands who attack small repair jobs around the house. They usually make them big enough to call in professionals.
- …for the bathtub — the one place the family allows Mom some time to herself.
- …for children who put away their things and clean up after themselves. They’re such a joy you hate to see them go home to their own parents.
- …for gardening. It’s a relief to deal with dirt outside the house for a change.
- …for teenagers. They give parents an opportunity to learn a second language.
- …for smoke alarms. They let you know when the turkey’s done.
Things to be thankful for are all around us – even in places you might not think. How thankful are you – are you aware of all the blessings – little and big – that God has put in your life? Over and over again the Scripture reminds us that we are to give thanks to the Lord for the many blessings that we personally enjoy, for those that the people of God enjoy, and for those that all who dwell upon this earth enjoy.
Here are six passages for you to focus on over the next six days (including today). Read them and write down the things that come to mind for which you are thankful. That way seven days from now you might enjoy a great Thanksgiving – one filled with the quiet joy of being one who is aware of his/her blessings – and of the God who provides them.
- Friday 11/18 – I Chronicles 16:8-10 O give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wondrous works! Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice!
- Saturday 11/19 – Psalm 7:17 I will give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness, and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High.
- Sunday 11/20 – Psalm 118:1, 5-9 O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! …Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? The Lord is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.
- Monday 11/21 – Isaiah 12:1-4 You will say in that day: “I will give thanks to you, O Lord, for though you were angry with me, your anger turned away, that you might comfort me. Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.” With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day: “Give thanks to the Lord, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples, proclaim that his name is exalted.”
- Tuesday 11/22 – I Corinthians 15:56-58 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
- Wednesday 11/23 – II Thessalonians 2:13-14 But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. To this he called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.